Forums

Blood Cocoon

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lagi 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Martin
    Participant

Hi!
    I’m only a 4-5 hours into the game, and I think that the spell Blood Cocoon makes it really easy for my characters to continue adventuring on and on, without having to sleep at all. I understand spells in this game work differently than other games (i.e. D&D) but I think there should be a re-balance for this, i.e. whenever a fight is over, I just have to select Blood Cocoon and the character is at full health, in a matter of seconds!
    I think it would be better to at least make this process slower, just like when there are enemies nearby, or in the middle of a fight. I just feel it’s a game-breaking feature!

Marc-Antoine Dufour
    Participant

Greetings, i can understand why you’d say it’s easy and game-breaking but think about it. Even in baldur’s gate you can rest and instantly heal all your characters by resting 8 hours with Healing spells. Then just go kite more monsters. I think this is similar in a way.

Dragoslav
    Participant

Making the healing magics limited would make the game a chore to play. I agree tho that resting should be more substantial to the gameplay. Bonus stats from rested status (negative for tired) or smth like that. :)

Johannes
    Participant

One way to make resting more needed is to make it so that healing spells can only heal you up to X % of your total hp. (X < 100)

Martin
    Participant

@Marc-Antoine Dufour I understand that, since I’ve played all Infinity Engine games. But, you may agree with me in one thing: in those games, whenever you finished a tough encounter, your characters health couldn’t be replenished so easily. Especially when your cleric ran out of spells, forcing you to rest in a safe area. This kind of actions makes a game more appealing, since you rely towns and their vendors –re-stocking potions, ammunition, etc, instead of just casting “Blood Cocoon” on each party member and voila! full health again, not a single scratch.
    I really love Serpent in the Staglands so far, and that’s why I think it would be much more appealing if this mechanic could be improved. I think the suggestions from Dragoslav and Johannes are a good start.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Martin.

Dark
    Participant

I disagree. In no IE game have I had any trouble replenishing my health, considering how convenient it is to rest. In fact, I’ve never run out of spells. Just rest every two or three fights, and you spend the majority of the game at full power.

While I agree that they need to find a way to make camping something more than “swap Day/Night cycles”, messing with healing/health in this fashion does nothing more than seriously ramp up the difficulty at the beginning while being trivial later.

My party hits near-death a lot before I manage to get actual armor, but once I do – especially the Arbiter mail and shields, almost nothing actually injures them.

I support Dragoslav’s suggestion in the other thread of camping giving a buff – an incentive to do it, as opposed to punishment if you don’t.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Dark.

Martin
    Participant

I wasn’t saying I’ve had trouble replenishing the health of my party members. I said the combat, spells and resting mechanics in those games made gameplay a little more “engaging”, I mean, you have to play with towns, danger zones, how you are going to use your healing spells and when, etc., it adds strategy and micro-management to the mix.
    I started the post talking about the “Blood Cocoon” spell, and how it feels over-powered and game-breaking. I just don’t think it’s fun to heal my players instantly after every fight, without resting, going to the nearest town, camping…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  Martin.

Dark
    Participant

That’s what I’m talking about.

Making it a strategic choice to camp/rest – such as buffs from camping/resting – is interesting.

Forcing people to keep returning to town after a few fights because we can’t easily top up our health is just annoying, inconvenient, doesn’t add any strategic elements, and actively unfun. Especially since there’s no quick-travel or fast forward to make the slog faster, nor any mechanics to prevent us from having our health topped up after every fight anyway.

Martin
    Participant

I have to say I don’t agree with you, but I respect your opinion. Nevertheless, the whole point why I started this post is –again– to discuss the Blood Cocoon spell.
    I honestly think players shouldn’t replenish the party health so easily, that’s all. I like having consequences if I face a tough enemy. If my characters are on the brink of death, I don’t think it’s fun to heal them up instantly and move to another battle, there have to be consequences. Maybe if they could just heal slower, at least that would make strategic planning before combat more important.
    There’s when resting becomes important, because a character could be tired, wounded, have his leg broken, etc. Or maybe just for the sake of gaining some bonuses.

HenitoKisou
    Participant

It’s a matter of choice and Blood Cocoon has delay before cast, ends when moved and doesn’t heal you instantly, only when still have low max health and you still need at least one mage in your party that can use spells while they are really weak in battle and swords, crossbows are more useful. Especially in battle, inventory slots are limited, quickslots are 4, if enemy will hit healers on the bacs usually easiest target you are done for, so you need manouver your fighters to protect them and kill enemies before they kill you and mages will buff/heal you or debuff enemies – healing is part of the strategy, also in these near death, no supplies, no emeralds situation, not a flaw. Bear in mind some enemies will attack in groups and despite 1 or 2 healers will drain health of fighters very quicklyb oten with buffs on them and debuffing your heroes, staggers or so. Even 1 powerful enemy can kill 2 or 3 heroes despite constantly healing. Using supplies, rest and potions only would be stupid limitation.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  HenitoKisou.

Martin
    Participant

I know how to play CRPGs… I don’t think you understood what I was talking about. I said Blood Cocoon is game-breaking when used outside combat. It heals you up at 100% in a matter of seconds. That’s it.
    All I’m saying is, it would be great –at least for me– if Blood Cocoon could be hampered-down so that healing in a NON-COMBAT situation was slower.
    As a matter of fact, I’ve decided to play as if there was no such spell (only to be used IN COMBAT situations). And it really makes it more difficult, thus more enjoyable for me.
    It would be great if the developers could join this thread, and share their thoughts!

HenitoKisou
    Participant

I like healing them outside of combat with this spell because it’s essential when you can’t rely on supplies or need save emeralds so it’s not game-breaking and matter of choice if someone want abuse that or will use mages with this spell, you can play all warrior party if you want (and is essential in combat) – that’s what I said.

Martin
    Participant

Maybe it’s not game-breaking for you, but it is for me. Anyway, I respect your opinion, it’s just a matter of taste.
    Nevertheless, it would be great to read Joe’s opinions on this matter.

Dark
    Participant

Well see, that’s the thing.

If healing in a non-combat situation was slower, all it would do is reduce quality-of-life for people who used it to heal in non-combat situations.

It’d just make it take longer – introducing inconvenience.

What you actually want is for each combat to use up resources that can’t be easily replenished when out of combat. Currently, we use up health in combat, and then top if off out of combat.

If (for example) we accrued wounds from losing health that could not be healed by Blood Cocoon but required rest, then your issue with Blood Cocoon would become moot.

HenitoKisou
    Participant

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms used system as you described above but differently. By quote:

The damage system in Heretic Kingdoms uses both hit points and blood points. The character can heal an unlimited number of times, but with each healing the blood points drop; thereby limiting the maximum number of hit points. As a result, during extended combat with multiple heals, the maximum hit points will steadily decrease and the character will be more vulnerable to a hit that will kill her. Both hit points and blood points can be fully restored by sleeping at one of a limited number of campfires, Inn beds, or (if you have purchased a house) in a private bed.

I’d like equivalent of that (of course without visible stamina/energy/blood for this) in Staglands because that won’t hurt anyone actually using blood cocoon outside of battle and still provide it useful while preventing abuse, also can make battles more interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.